Rear 608 Station Avenue
Phone (856)546-7135 Fax (856)546-5340
The local emergency management office is administered through several Acts and Directives promulgated by the Federal and New Jersey State Governments. The Federal Civil Defense Act of 1950, as amended (P.L. 81-920) and Emergency Management Act, N.J.S.A., Appendix A:9-30 et seq. (Chapter 251, P.L. 1942, as amended by Chapter 504, P.L. 1985, and Chapter 222, P.L. 1989) are two.
The purpose of the Office of Emergency Management is to “protect life and property in emergencies by coordinating response activities of county, municipal and volunteer entities to ensure their optimum use. It provides for actions to be taken to mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from the effects of an emergency.”
The Emergency Management Committee meets 3 or 4 times a year to update the Emergency Operations Plan and to conduct training/drills. Members of the Committee are;
There is a Local Emergency Planning Committee that is responsible for an Emergency Operations Plan. Most of the members of the committee are public safety officers who would be involved in emergency operations during an incident. We need residents willing to be trained to become part of the emergency planning committee and the response team. We need help with shelter operations, radiological operations, and communications among other things. There is also training to become part of a Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.).
If you are interested in assisting your town on the emergency management committee or the C.E.R.T. team, please call the Borough Hall at 856-547-7164 or the emergency management office at 546-7135 and volunteer your help.
- Mayor Edward S. Forte, Jr.
- Director of Police and Fire Rick DiRenzo
- Library Director Chris Walter
- Police Chief Richard Kinkler – responsible for Evacuation and Law Enforcement
- Fire Chief Nick Scardino – responsible for Fire and Hazardous Materials
- Asst. Fire Chief Frank Lafferty – responsible for Alert, Warning & Communications and Shelter, Reception and Care
- Ambulance Chief John Zenuk – responsible for Emergency Medical Services
- DPW Superintendent Tom Cella – responsible for Public Works
- Construction Official John Szczerbinski – responsible for Damage Assessment
- Joan Moreland, Interim Borough Clerk – responsible for Public Information, Public Health, and Social Services
- Borough Treasurer Jeff Kasko – responsible for Resource Management
- Deputy Emergency Mgmt. Coordinator John Ellis – responsible for Radiological
- Emergency Mgmt Coordinator Judy Reiss – responsible for Emergency Operating Center
Part of protecting life is helping residents evacuate or “shelter-in-place” during an emergency. If you need special help during an evacuation or an emergency, the State of New Jersey has begun a program where you can register your information and needs. It is called RegisterREADY, and is a secure website where only officials from your hometown can obtain your information in emergencies. If you are interested you can call 2-1-1 or go to the website, www.registerready.nj.gov to register.
For more information on H1N1 Flu see Camden County website: http://www.co.camden.nj.us//
Department of Health and Senior Services: www.state.nj.us/health/er/h1n1
Center for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/